Having worked in the PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) field for several years I have seen some astonishingly dangerous bits of electrical equipment. Often that is down to poor awareness on the dangers of electricity. I’m writing this article to educate users for some of the dangers that can be found when using electrical goods and just why faulty goods should be repaired before further use.

In the UK alone around 1000 injuries occur because of electric shock every year, normally 30 of these will be fatal! This really demonstrates electricity must be taken seriously and is no laughing matter. Visit my site to view failed items found during PAT testing.

Below I have listed some of the most common bad electrical practices and why they can be dangerous:

Plugs without protective sleeves

Some older plugs don’t feature the protective sleeves on the phase and neutral pins of the plug. شایع‌ترین دلایل برای تعمیر کرکره برقی Basically therefore should you be plugging or un-plugging an appliance with this particular type of plug you’re at risk of electric shock if you hold the plug incorrectly. If you look at today’s plug you can see the protective sleeves on the pins as a different colour to the metal at the end of the pins. I have seen protective sleeves that have been melted off a plug when overheating has occurred, if it has happened the plug could also have suffered internal damage.

Plugs rewired incorrectly

The most typical fault when checking in the plug is that the cable grip is either missing, loose or only clamping the individual insulation for the phase and neutral wires and not the insulation for the cable also. The cable grip is an important feature on plugs as a sharp tug could easily damage the wiring. Plugs which have been rewired incorrectly to the incorrect polarity or are missing a link to earth are less common but can still be a danger.

Fuses

Not only is it surprisingly common for the wrong fuse to be found when testing an appliance but occasionally I’ll find tin foil, a bolt or other things that will conduct electricity instead of the fuse. Using the correct fuse for the equipment in use is essential as should a fault occur utilizing the wrong fuse may be the difference between a blown fuse or a power fire / severe electric shock. When something is protected by the incorrect or no fuse in case of fault it can draw often more current than it should be able to. If that is short circuiting this can create a huge amount of heat and a fire before long at all.